If you love all things coffee, then you’ll fall in love with this coffee chip ice cream recipe. Every single morning I need to start my day off with a cup of coffee. It doesn’t only wake me up when I’m extra tired, I also love the taste of it. Sometimes I can’t take so much of the caffeine, so I incorporate that rich flavor into my desserts.
This is a no-churn ice cream, which means all you need is a few ingredients and your stand mixer. You can use a whisk, but I highly recommend using a stand mixer. It’s so much easier and it’ll do the work for you. Because there are no preservatives in this ice cream, it will remain smooth and creamy and won’t get to that rock hard texture like store-bought ice cream.
I should warn you that this ice cream is best for those 21 and older. I add a couple of splashes of Kahlua for that espresso liquor kick. If you want to make this for your kids or don’t want any alcohol in it, just leave the Kahlua out, it’s no big deal. Also be sure to use instant coffee or espresso, not the real stuff. The instant coffee will absorb in the ice cream better. The regular coffee will leave you with bits of ground coffee.
Coffee Chip Ice Cream
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk, 14 ounces
- 2 and ½ tablespoons instant coffee
- 3 tablespoons coffee liquor, such as Kahlua (optional)
- 1 and ½ cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup espresso chips
- In a medium or large size bowl, whisk together the sweetened condensed milk, Kahlua, and instant coffee. Set aside.
- Using a stand mixer, whisk the heavy whipping cream until stiff peaks form. About 5 minutes.
- Slowly fold in the coffee mixture with the heavy whipping cream.
- Fold in espresso chips, and freeze for at least 6-12 hours in an airtight container.
Feel free to omit the Kahlua or use less than instructed for a more mild flavor.
Add white chocolate chips or dark/milk chocolate chips instead of espresso chips if you prefer that.