This colorful and moist cake is the perfect thing to have at your next birthday party or any occasion.
I love sprinkles just as much as the best person, and this is one of my favorite vanilla-based recipes. This makes a one layer cake in a 9″ round cake pan. Feel free to double up the recipe or triple the recipe to make a 2-layer or 3-layer cake. You can even use two 6″ cake pans or cupcakes!
I’ve made it for my mother in law’s birthday, as well as my aunt and uncle’s 55th wedding anniversary. It’s so versatile and delicious that you can make this cake anytime and anywhere (as long as you have an oven).
Gluten-Free and Dairy-Free
I have successfully made this recipe both gluten-free, and dairy-free. To make this recipe dairy-free, you can substitute the butter with either margarine or a neutral flavored oil such as canola or vegetable. You can also substitute milk with a dairy-free milk or water.
- 1 stick unsalted butter (1/2 cup), room temperature
- ¾ cup white sugar
- 1 and ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs
- 1 and ½ tsp spiced rum, (sub vanilla extract)
- 1 and ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease a round 9-inch baking pan.
- In a medium-size bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Add eggs one at a time until fully incorporated, then add the rum. Mix on low until combined.
- Add the dry ingredients to the mixer and mix until combined. You should have a doughy consistency at this point.
- Pour in the milk and mix on low. Your cake batter should be the same consistency as a pancake batter. Do not over mix.
- Fold in sprinkles.
- Bake for 30 minutes and you'll know when the cake is ready when you insert a toothpick in the center and it comes out clean.
Yes, you can bake with sprinkles. I used Wilton Sprinkles.
- If you’re looking to make a dairy-free cake, use margarine instead of butter, or substitute with 1/4 cup of a neutral flavor oil like vegetable or canola. You can also use almond milk or water instead of dairy milk.
You want to make sure your butter is softened, but not completely softened to a point where it’s almost melted. You should take the butter out of your refrigerator about 30 – 60 minutes before starting to bake. Here is a quick tip if you forget to do that.
Make sure you do not over mix the batter. If you do then there’s a good chance you’ll end up with cakey bread instead of a light and airy funfetti cake.
You may substitute the spiced rum with vanilla extract.